Yellow House

Edgartown Village Historic District, MA

Built in 1838 during the Vineyard’s whaling boom, the Georgian Colonial–style Captain Rufus Pease House—known as the Yellow House—exudes Vineyard history. Its new owners requested a restoration and renovation that would enhance interior flow and water views, and erase the damage of weather, neglect, and anachronistic additions.

The resulting scheme called for a new addition and the reorientation of the house along a central spine to improve circulation and views. The exterior and structure are entirely new, except for wood floors and windows, but the building maintains its 1840s appearance, even as it lives the way people want to today.