Admiral Chin House

Edgartown Village Historic District, MA

Built in 1790 as the second home of prominent Edgartown resident Thomas Cooke, this two-chimney, two-story Colonial was added to the village’s historic district in 1983. It remains an elegant example of a relatively early Vineyard home, one built before the popularity of white-painted clapboard-fronted captain’s houses.

The property has long been recognized for the gracious lines and proportions of the home’s façade, as well as its manicured, private yard. Because of the home’s historic significance and important role in the neighborhood’s aesthetic, the expansion desired by its new owners was carefully conceived and executed.

The scope comprised a complete restoration, plus the addition of rear and carriage-house wings, a pool, and a cabana. To minimize street-side impact, the façade appears almost unaltered, with the carriage-house wing sitting back from the original. The reconceived rear comes alive with porches, patios, an outdoor fireplace, and other opportunities for outdoor living.